Thursday 4 June 2015

Shadowscape Tarot

While saying decks are my favourite can seem bit redundant, after all I don't use decks I dislike. This deck has so many of my favourite cards.




I was looking for a good Stratford Tarot deck and I was thinking about going Shakespearean or period, but I couldn't find anything that appealed to me.  Lots of research later I noticed that the Shadowscape Tarot by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law uses swans frequently for sword cards.  Even more research followed before I was willing to risk it.  While not my newest deck, this is a recent addition to my Tarot collection.


At first it might seem like another fantasy deck, there are a few details scattered through it, but it's actually more than that.  It's more magic than fantasy and more theatrical than literary.


There isn't as much detail to the background but each card was careful thought out.  There is plenty of symbolism and amazing scenes, many of which look like concept art for a play, but again it's a very easy to connect to.




This is another modern deck, our fool is about to step off with a flock of birds to protect her, the hanged man is surrounded by fairies and dryads. While I just said this isn't as detailed, each card requires a second look.


I'd say that rather than letting each card embody an idea, each card represents a fresh look at how to represent that idea with an active scene.

It is also very beautiful.  The water colour artwork helps create a vibrant world making each reading a story that clearly fits together from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment