Sunday 7 June 2015


I do not seek the inexperienced youth, but he seeks me. When he shows the sincerity proper for divination, I instruct him. If he asks two or three times, that is troublesome, and I do not instruct the troublesome.

First I am using the James Legge 1899 translation but please go here if you are interested in the I Ching.  It's a great website with multiple translations and far more information than I could ever hope to share on the subject of the I Ching.

The Book of Changes or the I Ching is made up of 64 different hexagrams each of which are made up of 6 lines, either complete or with space in the middle, and are divined using yarrow sticks.  While the I Ching is a fantastic resource I am just using Hexagram 4 to make my point rather than going into any depth on the subject.  The Book of Changes is one of the oldest texts on the planet and Hexagram 4 completely and perfectly explains where the limits of Tarot are and did so 3000 years ago give or take.

The limit actually makes a lot of sense, there is only a finite amount of information you can gain from a Tarot reading.  You can ask the same question any way you want but the answer isn't going to change.  In fact the answer will turn to the Tarot equivalent of gibberish before you'll get a new answer.  That's the point where you have become troublesome.

There is a way around it, you can look at different aspects of the same question.  Before I become troublesome I will usually try to approach it from a different angle.  There is usually more than one question you can ask about a single subject but again you don't want to be troublesome.

My advice is if you have a problem before you arrive at your appointment think about all of the questions you have about it.  For instance if you have a question about your job.  What is it that worries you about your job?  What worries you about changing your job?  Are there other aspects of your life that might impact your job?  What are you hoping to achieve?  Any of these questions might be answered early on or you might not have enough time to address all of them so figure out what the most important questions are and have a variety to work through.

No comments:

Post a Comment